Subject: Re: fxp0: device timeouts with ~20040422-current
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/24/2004 13:14:19
Hi!

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Allen Briggs wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 02:25:04PM +0300, Arto Selonen wrote:

> > After upgrading from 1.6ZL (~20040328 sources) to 2.0C (sources from
> > anoncvs fi-mirror around 9am EEST) I started getting a steady flow
> > of 'fxp: device timeout' errors on both of the system's fxp interfaces:
>
> This is likely due to my recent change in revision 1.82 of
> src/sys/dev/ic/i82557.c that fixed "SCB timeout" and "device
> timeout" errors on one of my systems:

> Can you try reverting to revision 1.81 of that file (with the
> attached patch or via CVS)?

Just tried a test kernel built with rev 1.81 of src/sys/dev/ic/i82557.c
and after about 30 minutes of intense testing could not generate a single
device timeout. Traffic levels per direction were kept around 2.5Mbps out
and over 40Mbps in on the interface that was "constantly" timing out
yesterday. This was considerably more than the levels present during the
previous problems.

So, unless there are other factors involved (and not present today),
then the fxp device timeouts were indeed caused by rev 1.82
I'll leave 1.81 running for now, and should there be any timeouts,
I'll report them here (current-users thread).

Thanks for the quick fix!

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.