Subject: fxp0: device timeouts with ~20040422-current
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Selonen <arto@selonen.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/23/2004 14:25:04
Hi!

After upgrading from 1.6ZL (~20040328 sources) to 2.0C (sources from
anoncvs fi-mirror around 9am EEST) I started getting a steady flow
of 'fxp: device timeout' errors on both of the system's fxp interfaces:

fxp0 at pci2 dev 10 function 0: i82550 Ethernet, rev 12
inphy0 at fxp0 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 4
fxp1 at pci2 dev 12 function 0: i82550 Ethernet, rev 12
inphy1 at fxp1 phy 1: i82555 10/100 media interface, rev. 4

Both interfaces had 'link0' in their ifconfig.setups, and the error
messages appeard roughly once every 5-10 (different times on
different interfaces; fxp1 seems to be the dominant one with 9 timeouts
during the last 30 minutes; fxp0 maybe once during the last hour). This
never happened before on either interface. Both interfaces also have
"enabled=6<TCP4CSUM,UDP4CSUM>". I also tried removing 'link0', but that
didn't seem to have an effect (other than possibly making it more
frequent; not enough samples to be sure, though).

Should I assume that the cards are starting to fail now (problem
brought to light with the upgrade), or was this problem introduced
by the upgrade? Or, are these expected? Should they disappear after a
while?

Artsi
--
Everstinkuja 5 B 35                               Don't mind doing it.