Subject: Re: build install failing unless tools rebuilt again
To: Art Lemasters <slemas1@mindspring.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/14/2004 17:35:14
In message <407D49BB.4050809@mindspring.com>, Art Lemasters writes:
>When I run
>
>./build.sh -u -x -D /usr/mydestdir distribution
>
>, that works fine. But is it deleting some tools files? Because
>when I run
>
>./build.sh -u -x -D /usr/mydestdir install=/
>
>, it fails, unless tools are rebuilt after building the
>distribution. If I rebuild the tools again after running the first
>command above, the install works fine.

If I understand things correctly, that can happen if you switch kernel
versions between the two -- say, if you boot the new kernel before
installing the new userland, which is of course what you're supposed to
do.  Since I have very simple build needs -- I don't cross-compile, or
support more than one version of the system from any compile point -- I
specify '-T /usr/tools' on my build.sh invocations.