Subject: Re: build.sh -x not working with readonly /usr/xsrc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/13/2004 16:10:00
Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 02:59:01PM +0200, Ronald van der Pol wrote:
>   | #    create  dps//usr/xsrc/xfree/xc/lib/dps/dpsclrops.h

 ... note the double slash.

>   | rm -f /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc/lib/dps/dpsclrops.h
>   | rm: /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc/lib/dps/dpsclrops.h: Permission denied

Amazingly enough, this looks remarkably like the problem I described
last month with MAKEDEV (Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:26:29 -0500):

  When MAKEDEV is already present in src/etc, the verbose log is
  #    create  etc//home/current/src/etc/MAKEDEV

   ... note the double slash.

  When MAKEDEV is removed from src/etc, the verbose log is
  #    create  etc/MAKEDEV

   ... and the latter runs to completion.

  Unfortunately, I cannot fathom why this is occurring, and why it
  started to occur recently (sometime after Dec 24).

> This is because  /usr/xsrc/xfree/xc/lib/dps/dpsclrops.h
> is a temporary "stale" file generated at runtime by a previous build,
> most likely a previous "native" build of X11.
>
> Ensure you have up to date source without any of these
> temporary stale files, otherwise the build process with be confused by
> these.
>
> The same problem can occur if you have .o files in a read-only
> source tree.

But, it used to work!

I tried to devine the recent changes that cause this to occur, but the
Makefiles are no longer comprehensible to mere mortals.
--
William Allen Simpson