Subject: Re: releng autobuild 2.0 using 1.6A?
To: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2004 13:02:02
--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:27:57AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >=20
> > In article <4078F1D3.5706C65F@greendragon.com> you wrote:
> > > http://releng.netbsd.org/ab/B_netbsd-2-0/M_i386/i386.relse.1081468800=
.txt
> > >          TOOLDIR path:     /autobuild/netbsd-2-0/i386/OBJ/autobuild/n=
etbsd-2-0/src/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6A-i386

> > > Any reason why the machine is still running a rather ancient kernel?
> >=20
> > Probably because it works (and there was no pressing reason to upgrade)?
> >=20
> (1) There have been a few Security Advisories since then -- which would=
=20
> seem to affect an FTP server, among other features.

Note: the kernel it's running, even though it was "current" at the time,=20
really is a 1.6 kernel. So all the fixes applied to 1.6 apply to it; we=20
don't need the latest & greatest kernel to be safe.

Also, if the advisories are being applied by patch rather than=20
bulk-update, then the kernel version won't change.

> (2) It would certainly be nice to use those file and memory speed-ups=20
> that folks have added over the years.
>=20
> (3) The general concept of "eating our own dogfood" might apply here!=20

I think that the time to update will be after 2.0 comes out. While you're=
=20
right that "eating our own dogfood" is good, this is a production machine.=
=20
So updating before or during a release isn't so good. :-)

Now if we had a second machine (and admin resources) to experiment on,=20
that'd be different.

Take care,

Bill

--tThc/1wpZn/ma/RB