Subject: Re: releng autobuild 2.0 using 1.6A?
To: William Allen Simpson <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2004 13:02:02

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 11:27:57AM -0400, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> >=20
> > In article <> you wrote:
> > >
> > >          TOOLDIR path:     /autobuild/netbsd-2-0/i386/OBJ/autobuild/n=
> > >
> > > Any reason why the machine is still running a rather ancient kernel?
> >=20
> > Probably because it works (and there was no pressing reason to upgrade)?
> >=20
> (1) There have been a few Security Advisories since then -- which would=
> seem to affect an FTP server, among other features.

Note: the kernel it's running, even though it was "current" at the time,=20
really is a 1.6 kernel. So all the fixes applied to 1.6 apply to it; we=20
don't need the latest & greatest kernel to be safe.

Also, if the advisories are being applied by patch rather than=20
bulk-update, then the kernel version won't change.

> (2) It would certainly be nice to use those file and memory speed-ups=20
> that folks have added over the years.
> (3) The general concept of "eating our own dogfood" might apply here!=20

I think that the time to update will be after 2.0 comes out. While you're=
right that "eating our own dogfood" is good, this is a production machine.=
So updating before or during a release isn't so good. :-)

Now if we had a second machine (and admin resources) to experiment on,=20
that'd be different.

Take care,

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)