Subject: Re: releng autobuild 2.0 using 1.6A?
To: None <>
From: William Allen Simpson <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2004 14:32:31
Thor Lancelot Simon rants:

> > (1) There have been a few Security Advisories since then -- which would
> > seem to affect an FTP server, among other features.
> Since you don't actually use the machine in question, you can't actually
> have any rational basis for any statement whatsoever about whether a given
> security fix has been applied, right?  I'm just checking, because it really
> sounds to me like you're spreading FUD.
As previously described, I'm basing my question entirely on the observed
"NetBSD-1.6A-i386".  This has always changed for me whenever I updated
the kernel.  That seemed a "rational basis" -- but then, the operators
could very well have faked the information.

Pray tell, *DID* releng fake the information?

(You don't seem to be listed at

> > (2) It would certainly be nice to use those file and memory speed-ups
> > that folks have added over the years.
> Again, since you don't actually use the machine in question, you can't
> really say much about its performance on the basis of actual empirical
> observation, right?

Yes, I've noticed that the time for compiling the i386 tree on that
machine has increased by "empirical observation":
  03:31:28 last year     [Thu May 29 06:31:33 UTC 2003]
  04:52:33 most recently [Sun Mar 28 05:44:49 UTC 2004]

> Again, I'm just curious -- both why this is a topic
> of such fascination to you

Again, I'm just curious, making a substantive observation, and
pertinent suggestion.

> and why you seem to think it's reasonable for
> you to be making loud, pseudo-authoritative statements about it on a

(I'm reasonably certain you cannot hear me.)

(Are you asserting that no relevent security advisories have been
issued since 1.6A, nor file and memory speed-ups?)

Do you take your interpersonal social pointers from Theo DeRaadt?

> public list
(Do you have another list in mind?)

> without making it clear that you're not, actually, in a
> position to know.
I'm quite certain that my question was abundantly clear....

MANY THANKS for the friendly and informative answer! :-(
William Allen Simpson