Subject: Re: releng autobuild 2.0 using 1.6A?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 04/12/2004 11:27:57
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> In article <4078F1D3.5706C65F@greendragon.com> you wrote:
> > http://releng.netbsd.org/ab/B_netbsd-2-0/M_i386/i386.relse.1081468800.txt
> >          TOOLDIR path:     /autobuild/netbsd-2-0/i386/OBJ/autobuild/netbsd-2-0/src/tooldir.NetBSD-1.6A-i386
> >
> > Any reason why the machine is still running a rather ancient kernel?
>
> Probably because it works (and there was no pressing reason to upgrade)?

(1) There have been a few Security Advisories since then -- which would
seem to affect an FTP server, among other features.

(2) It would certainly be nice to use those file and memory speed-ups
that folks have added over the years.

(3) The general concept of "eating our own dogfood" might apply here!

Well, I just happened to notice, as I don't usually read tbe logs on
successful builds, and this doesn't show up on the tails of failures.

I'll also note that the same tools are being rebuilt over and over for
each platform -- see path above --  which seems a bit of a waste of
processing time.
--
William Allen Simpson