Subject: Re: PR's about which(1)
To: NetBSD-current Discussion List <>
From: Greg A. Woods <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/2004 20:44:43
[ On Sunday, April 4, 2004 at 15:14:28 (-0400), Steven M. Bellovin wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: PR's about which(1)
> I suspect that 'which' has to be a built-in -- if you don't export
> $PATH, a command version will see a different set of directories than
> the shell will.

That doesn't seem to have been a problem for most csh users before!  ;-)

(i.e. the csh "which" command has traditionally always been a csh script)

>  Besides, there are aliases, shell functions, and other
> shell built-ins; an outboard command won't ("can't" is more accurate)
> know about these.

These things are often visible in csh scripts because they are set up in
the user's ~/.cshrc file, often even for non-interactive shells (because
often users don't know better :-)

						Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <>
Planix, Inc. <>          Secrets of the Weird <>