Subject: Re: NetBSD crashing under high memory usage
To: Wojciech Puchar <>
From: Jaromir Dolecek <>
List: current-users
Date: 04/05/2004 19:52:24
Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> it happens (mostly observed) when squid -k rotate is started and 150MB
> squid process travels it's all VM space to write cache directory to
> /var/spool/squid/swap.state.
> it's not complete crash, i still can ping machine, routing/NAT still
> works, but anything else.

OK, so it's not crash as in panic, good. If you wait a while,
does it recover? The machine might be just thrashing. Turning
softdeps on for the squid cache filesystem might help ...

Jaromir Dolecek <>
-=- We should be mindful of the potential goal, but as the Buddhist -=-
-=- masters say, ``You may notice during meditation that you        -=-
-=- sometimes levitate or glow.   Do not let this distract you.''   -=-