Subject: Crash that trashes many many inodes and files
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
List: current-users
Date: 04/04/2004 14:31:42
Last night I had a most horrible crash with NetBSD/alpha 1.6.

reboot after panic: panic: kernel diagnostic assertion "(origoffset & (PAGE_SIZE - 1)) == 0 && origoffset >= 0" failed: file "/usr/src/sys/arch/alpha/compile/AZENOMEI/../../../../miscfs/genfs/genfs_vnops.c", line 502

After this, my /scratch file system of 45G was almost completely hosed.
I had to run fsck over it several times, since it kept finding more
problems. After that, the partition which used to be 95% full is now only
64% full. I really lost a lot of files. In theory it's just all
disposable junk on /scratch, but in practice this isn't really true of
course.

I also ended up with a lost+found directory that has the most wonderful
junk in it. Files with random owners, sizes, dates, device numbers, etc.
Obviously something was written over a great number of inodes. When I
wanted to delete this, I got a second crash.

Does this ring a bell to anyone as being fixed in 1.6.2 or -current? I
do have a crash dump available if desired.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.