Subject: Re: installing netbsd with no cd or floppy, but with linux... To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Chiarelli <mano15@rushmore.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/31/2004 04:42:36
Steve Bellovin wrote:
> I just got a machine with no floppy or cd.  the hard drive has Linux on
> it.  I could temporarily move a cd from some other machine, but that's
> a hassle.  Is there any easy way to install NetBSD starting from a
> Linux root prompt?
>
> 		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.research.att.com/~smb

The funny thing is, I just got done doing this on one of my highschool's
lab computers. I had Slackware installed, and felt the need to switch. I
wasn't about to ask for a couple of floppies from my teacher, and I
don't regularly carry a NetBSD install CD (maybe I should...could come
in handy). So I tried these things, in this order:

Plan A: Installed grub, tried to boot from a dd'd linux swap slice. ``No
NetBSD Partition.'',or somesuch, see Plan B.

Plan B: Tried to load NetBSD floppy on the linux drive using grub's
chainloading feature (also tried to load as a kernel; yeah, I knew it
wouldn't work, but _anything's_ worth a try when you NEED NetBSD :) ).
Resets the computer instantly using either method, see Plan C.

Plan C: Simply boot linux, do `cat floppy > /dev/hda`, hit the reset
button. Works. :)

I'm now proud to say that I'm the first person there running
NetBSD-current consistently at home *and* work/school/(other place at
which you spend a third of the day). 8-D

Happy hacking!
-Bruce
|\|3+85D: f0r +h3 r3a1 133+ h4x0r5. Those who know will attest! They
will agree! They already use it! They will not use annoying hacker-esque
stereotypes!