Subject: Re: rsync service will move from ftp.netbsd.org to anoncvs.netbsd.org
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/29/2004 20:29:19
On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 07:55:13PM -0500, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> Yikes!
>
> What's going to happen to the hostname "rsync.netbsd.org"?

Nothing.  The FTP server will continue to provide rsync service for other
modules.

> If it changes without warning then that could cause a lot of unnecessary
> transfers from anyone who doesn't take this all into account at exactly
> the right time!

Since there will be no such change, I am not all too concerned about your
hypothetical.

> Maybe we could at least keep the "main" sub-directory so things stay
> relatively in the same place?  I think that would help simplify the
> change-over enormously.

Unfortunately, as I pointed out, we can't do so, for rather complicated
operational reasons to do with the environment on the anoncvs server.
Luckily, the module name is not the same, either, so users cannot, for
instance, accidentally re-fetch all the data or delete everything they
already have.