Subject: Re: Poll: NON BurnFree (buffer underrun protection) CD writers
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/27/2004 12:14:36
On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:53:39AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > I was thinking that such filingsystem is commonly implemented with Packet
> > Writing, not with BurnProof. At least on Windows and Linux. I have a CD-RW
> > which supports packet writing, but not BurnProof.
>
> My thoughts exactly.
> Apart from the initial 'format' write, I wouldn't have through that
> BurnProof was relevant.

True indeed, packet writing is indeed used for UDF but also is variable
packet writing on CD/DVD recordables. Due to UDF's structure, CD and DVD
recordables can also be used. They dont need formatting (nor can be
formatted) and are generally faster in read/write speed. Its for the
recordables that BurnProof is relevant.

Non burnproof CD writers can thus fully work with CD rewritables but can
cause problems in buffer-underruns. Fixing write-errors gracefully on CD
recordables is one of the more challenging issues but if its solved, buffer
underruns could be handled as write failures....

Cheers,
Reinoud