Subject: mt does not always work, nor does a remote dump
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2004 11:44:47
I have needed to try a remote dump via rmt from a NetBSD 1.6.1 to a
NetBSD 1.4.1 machine, and unfortunately this does not work.

I had verified with a simple "mt stat" command that things should be
working:

    klei# echo $TAPE
    root@rode:/dev/nrst0
    klei# echo $RCMD_CMD
    /usr/bin/ssh
    klei# mt stat
    SCSI tape drive, residual=0
    ds=3<Mounted>
    er=0
    blocksize: 0 (0, 0, 0, 0)
    density: 65 (0, 0, 0, 0)
    current file number: 0
    current block number: 0

This works. The following fails:

    klei# mt rdhpos
    mt: root@rode:/dev/nrst0: Invalid argument

It's not that rdhpos is a new command that 1.4.1 doesn't know about,
because on the remote machine it works:

    rode$ mt rdhpos
    /dev/nrst0: block location 0

This I could live with, if it were the only problem. However, dump
itself also fails (this is from a log file):

    /sbin/dump -0 -u -b512 -B40960000 -f root@rode:/dev/nrst0 /
    DUMP: Found /dev/rld0a on / in /etc/fstab
    DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Mar 16 01:33:01 2004
    DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
    DUMP: Dumping /dev/rld0a (/) to /dev/nrst0 on host root@rode
    DUMP: Label: none
    DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
    DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
    DUMP: estimated 44206 tape blocks on 0.00 tape(s).
    dump: Lost connection to remote host.

Any ideas?

-Olaf.