Subject: Re: ffs compatibility added, fsck may complain
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/13/2004 17:33:08
I never saw an answer to Perry (and my and I'm sure many others)
problem with blind updating co-lo space to more recent -current:

"Perry E. Metzger" wrote:

> Also, the situation is REALLY unfortunate. It means that you're going
> to end up with machines mysteriously failing on people without much
> recourse in the field if you don't happen to remember the cure. Also,
> people needing to blind upgrade boxes in colos will get screwed -- I'm
> one of those.
>
> Is there any way to either get the kernel to fix this for you during
> boot, or to provide a way to fix it in advance so that fsck doesn't
> fail during reboot? This is actually pretty important.

I'm trying to get ready to test -current in preparation for 2.0, but
I'm not sure that everything will be hunky-dory after simply installing
a new kernel, reboot, tar zxpf base.tgz et alia, reboot.

As Perry suggests, is there a way to fix it in advance?
--
William Allen Simpson