Subject: Re: 2 sendmail files written into src
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2004 17:48:42
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > To make etcupdate DTRT, you have to manually unpack the etc.tgz
> > set somewhere, and pass that location to etcupdate's "-b" option.
> > See the 4-line recipe in the middle of the EXAMPLES section of the
> > etcupdate man page.
>
> Or, as I wrote earlier, manually set TOOLDIR or MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in
> the environment. Maybe "etcupdate" could do that automatically?

Yes, etcupdate should automatically use a temporary MAKEOBJDIR or
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX.

But, for sufficiently narrow definitions of The Right Thing,
that would still not DTRT.  The /etc/set.* files that you get from
invoking etcupdate in a naive way are missing all the permissions and
sha1 hashes that you get if you let etcupdate use an unpacked copy of
etc.tgz.

--apb (Alan Barrett)