Subject: Re: 2 sendmail files written into src
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2004 09:31:53
On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Alan Barrett wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Mar 2004, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> > According to CVS, there appear to be 2 other files written in src.
> > However, these are leftover from earlier invocations, so I'm not sure
> > they are still written, but they should be checked.
> >
> > ? gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf/netbsd-msp.cf
> > ? gnu/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf/netbsd-proto.cf
>
> I was plagued by that problem for a long time, and eventually discovered
> that etcupdate evilly runs "make" in a way that allows it to write to
> the source directory.  To make etcupdate DTRT, you have to manually
> unpack the etc.tgz set somewhere, and pass that location to etcupdate's
> "-b" option.  See the 4-line recipe in the middle of the EXAMPLES
> section of the etcupdate man page.

Or, as I wrote earlier, manually set TOOLDIR or MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX in
the environment. Maybe "etcupdate" could do that automatically? It
doesn't even need to know your usual build.sh settings; it just needs
to run "make" in "${NETBSDSRCDIR}/etc" with MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX set to a
temporary directory, so as not to write in the source tree.

> I suspect that your src/etc/MAKEDEV problem (mentioned in a different
> message, not quoted above) has the same root cause.

Frederick