Subject: Re: why is MAKEDEV written into src/etc tree?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/12/2004 09:26:29
The relatively new default verbose log is WONDERFUL for debugging!

When MAKEDEV is already present in src/etc, the verbose log is
#    create  etc//home/current/src/etc/MAKEDEV

 ... note the double slash.

When MAKEDEV is removed from src/etc, the verbose log is
#    create  etc/MAKEDEV

 ... and the latter runs to completion.

Unfortunately, I cannot fathom why this is occurring, and why it
started to occur recently (sometime after Dec 24).

Details:

In Oct, a large number of changes were made to the MAKEDEV processing.
At one point (2003 Oct 04), I had a failure message saying:
  /usr/obj/destdir.i386//dev/MAKEDEV does not exist

According to my saved logs, src/etc/MAKEDEV was created later by root
(2003 Nov 05), presumably running (as root)
  ./build.sh -O /usr/obj -T ../tools install=/

While src/etc/MAKEDEV was present, I had many successful builds in Nov
and Dec.  This failure is a recent change.  But the makefiles are
complicated, and I'm not able to figure out the solution.

My workaround is to remove src/etc/MAKEDEV after each `install=/`.

Luke Mewburn wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 04:48:18PM -0500, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> Does this occur if you change the objdir to something other than
> /usr/obj?
> What about if you use '-M /some/other/dir'?
>
> I successfully build as non-root from a read-only src mountpoint
> to an objtree that's not /usr/obj (e.g, "/var/obj/i386") all the time.

I have a traditionally small /var on the co-lo machine (for security
under attack -- probably an obsolete assumption), and it would be hard
to shuffle the partition sizes on the fly.

But I'll try -O /usr/junk in the next attempt.

--
William Allen Simpson