Subject: Re: ss0, scanner not found in 1.6ZK
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2004 15:55:54
>   xsane can't find the device. Here's the relevant part of the
> dmesg output. And after that, the relevant parts of the kernel
> config. I'm trying to use a Microtek E3 scanner with an Adaptec
> ISA 1502 scsi card.

> aic0 at isa0 port 0x140-0x15f irq 10
> scsibus0 at aic0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target

Looks like the card was found OK.

> scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
> scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <, c\000n\000e, .\0000> disk fixed not configured

It's seeing something on the bus at SCSI id 0 and thinks it's a disk.

> scsibus* at aic?			# My line - probably of
> 					# no consequence, as it
> 					# it was not in the file

-current kernels use the:

  scsibus* at scsi?

line to attach SCSI busses now, so you shouldn't need this.

> aic0	at isa? port 0x140 irq 10	# Adaptec 152[02] SCSI
>
> scsibus* at scsi?
>
> ss*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI scanners

Hmm, it looks like the ss(4) manual page needs updating.  The ss driver
only supports some old HP Scanjet and Mustek scanners.  If you add the
"SCSI unknown" driver:

  uk*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI unknown

the scanner should attach as uk0.  You can then make a link /dev/scanner
-> /dev/uk0 or change the device entry in /usr/pkg/etc/sane.d/microtek.conf
to /dev/uk0.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/