Subject: NetBSD/amd64 and XFree86.
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/10/2004 00:08:28
Is anyone else having trouble with X and recent kernels?

I consider this more of a -current issue than an X issue, since
the server was working with -current from January 29 of this.

I did a 'cvs update -PAd' and built a new kernel from my old
kernel config.  This is just GENERIC with ioapic and MPBIOS
disabled.  (ioapic has caused terrible problems with this
nVidia motherboard; turning it off makes it work.)

GENERIC is unchanged since January 14, and the diff from it to my
kernel config is still just the two MPBIOS lines and the one ioapic
line.

When I boot, everything looks normal.

When I try to start X, the X server fails with a signal 11
in the /var/log/XF*log file.

I let it sit for a few days thinking that it might be a
transient problem.  I built a new kernel recently and did
a reboot to see what happens.  The results are the same:
Everything works as near as I can tell, except that X does
not work (signal 11).

I have not altered the X server.

Some other things that may be of relavence: The graphics card is
in an AGP slot and is not well-supported by X.  In November, I was
able to get good X performance with the default config that X
generated.  More recently, I had to lie about the chipset ID in
order to get it to work well at all.