Subject: Re: nuked into the stone age -- broken build bootstrap
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040306T194636@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 03/07/2004 22:09:32
On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 19:57:29 -0800
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
<wolfgang+gnus20040306T194636@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com> wrote:

> Looks like my last-week's -current can't build this week's -current.
> Is there a simple way to tell it to forget about groff and just build
> a C compiler/libs that work?
>
> -wolfgang
>
>     ./build.sh -U tools kernel=WSRCC_ATHLON distribution
>     dependall ===> groff
>     checking for gcc... cc
>     checking for C compiler default output... a.out
>     checking whether the C compiler works... yes
>     checking whether we are cross compiling... no
>     checking for suffix of executables...
>     checking for suffix of object files... o
>     checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>     checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
>     checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
>     checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
>     checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
>     checking that C++ compiler can compile simple program... no
>     configure: error: a working C++ compiler is required

I saw this, something was broken for a short period for c++.  The "Fix"
is to install a new c++ compiler, i did:
cd src/gnu/usr.bin/gcc3
make USETOOLS=no clean
make USETOOLS=no
as root:
make USETOOLS=no install
make USETOOLS=no clean

But your mileage will vary, and it's not the cleanest way to do it, as
it does the build within the source tree, but if you need a working
system...

Alternatively download a new comp.tgz from releng.nb.org, and untar that
over your current install, then try your normal build method.  I think
the build in:
ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/current/200403030000/i386/
is safe, but I can't remember when the bug was fixed.

Chris