Subject: Re: TCP/IP tuning.
To: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/02/2004 12:49:34
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Thomas Miller wrote:

> Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org> wrote:
>
> > My personal opinion is that 5Mbits/sec is far enough ahead of the
> > curve for general Internet users (ignoring large businesses, educational
> > institutions, etc.) that you will find it hard to see that kind of
> > performance in practice.

Depends on your country, I guess. In Sweden, the ISPs are now up to
28 MB/s for private use (cost is something like $40 per month).

> I think, if the ISP sells "up to 3 Mbps" and also "up to
> 5 Mbps, then it's reasonable for the customer to assume
> that she should be able to download at something approaching
> the rated speed at least occasionally.  Otherwise, they
> could just as well sell the connection as "up to 100 Mbps"
> or "up to 1000 Mbps."

I agree. You are seeing more than 3 Mb/s, but it looks like your close to
4 Mb/s, not 5... And to the ISPs servers, you should probably be able to
get more. The latency interested me. Do you know how many hops you have to
that ftp server? (You can check it out with traceroute).

> I must stop ranting about this!  :-)  Last time, I promise!

:-)

	Johnny