Subject: TCP/IP tuning
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
List: current-users
Date: 03/01/2004 09:22:07
Hello,

Thanks to all who took time to discuss TCP/IP tuning
with me.

A few quick tests here suggested that doubling the
receive space might increase throughput by approximately
three per cent.

The default receivespace value on i386 1.6ZK was 32768.

I did

# sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65536

This change increased the download speed of my test file
from aproximately 313 KB/sec to approximately 323 KB/sec.

The test consisted of downloading a 39772705 byte file
from my ISP's mirror server twice before and twice after
the change with sysctl.  The speed measurements were
those reported by the NetBSD ftp client.

Increasing the receivespace to triple the original value
had no effect that I could see.  Testing on previous
occasions using a NetBSD machine plugged directly into
the ISP supplied modem suggests that the router I usually
use has no adverse effect on throughput.

David's interesting suggestion that I try multiple
concurrent connections resulted in values that I did not
record but recall as something like 240 KB/sec and 150
KB/sec -- an overall increase, but the second connection
was much slower than the first.  Also, the aggregate
transfer rate of 390 KB/sec remained less than two thirds
of the 610 KB/sec capability of my "up to 5 Mbps"
connection.  Notably, 390 KB/sec is 3.19 Mbps, just a
bit over the "up to 3 Mbps" speed of my ISP's regular,
non-premium connection.

I would be grateful to hear from anybody who has additional
comments or suggestions.  Thanks again to everyone who
replied.

Kindest regards,

Tom