Subject: Re: HAL (was build.sh fails)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/29/2004 15:55:31
On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:59:56PM +0100, John Schieferle Uhlenbrock wrote:
> David Young wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 03:59:51PM +0100, John Schieferle Uhlenbrock wrote:
> > > Just a side note to the whole HAL subject. AFAIK we cant supply the
> > > src within the US because of the FCC. Why don't we supply it outside
> > > atleast? Don't know if this is feasable or useful, just throwing out
> > > my two cents.
> > >

> > NetBSD cannot supply the HAL source because no NetBSD developer can get hold
> > of it.  It is not clear to me who is the author of the source code
> > restrictions; if it is the FCC, I am curious to see specific documentation
> > of that fact.
>
> http://ftp.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Engineering_Technology/Orders/2001/fcc01264.pdf
>
> Grabbed it from the madwifi project README @
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/madwifi/madwifi/README?rev=1.19

I am aware of that FCC order, and I have read it. You will have to
convince me that it is relevant.

Specific documentation is a statement to the effect of
"manufacturer X certified their radio based on the Atheros
chipset under the SDR rules." If any such documentation exists,
it is a matter of public record. I have looked for and have not
found any such documentation; maybe you will have better luck
than I. You can search the FCC's equipment authorizations at
<https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm>.

Dave