Subject: Re: is intel's speedstep supported?
To: None <>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/27/2004 18:04:18
On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 05:09:13PM -0500, Alexander Grigo wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that some people would like to have speedstep support.
> But, as I mentioned there was a posting on port-i386 including
> a whole set of patches. And it seems the went directly to the OpenBSD
> source tree but for some reason not (at least not the posted files)
> to NetBSD.... Why?

I can think of a few obvious reasons:

1) We don't always catch random patches sent to our mailing lists.
   No particular developer is tasked with doing so, so occasionally
   things slip by.

2) We do have a way to submit patches so that we can easily track
   and integrate them; it's much better to submit patches with
   send-pr, which is supplied with the operating system, than to
   just mail them to one of the lists.

3) Taking advantage of #1 to try to cherry-pick our users, a few
   OpenBSD developers make a deliberate effort to find and
   integrate patches we haven't.  Of course, this is a competitive
   pressure on us to try to make sure that patches aren't missed,
   so it's not a *bad* thing!

Still, if you want a particular patch integrated, it is best to use

 Thor Lancelot Simon