Subject: wireless lan (802.11g) cards
To: current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2004 20:32:58
Those who have been asking which Wireless LAN cards are supported or
what kind of deals there are on these cards might be interested in
this:

Fry's Electronics and Best Buy are offering the D-Link DWL-G520 for $59
(US).  The manufacturer has a $10 mail-in rebate running on these cards
through March 4th.  There were two types of packages on the shelf at
Fry's.  A label on the back indicated one had HW Ver A2 FW Ver 2.33,
the other HW Ver A3 FW Ver 2.36.  The second appears to be newer and
the front of the box indicates it runs at "Up to 108 Mbps".

The HW Ver A3 FW Ver 2.36 card appear to be supported in -current.
(The other may be as well, but I didn't buy one to test.)  This is from
a 1.6ZK kernel:

ath0 at pci2 dev 0 function 0
ath0: interrupting at irq 5
ath0: mac 5.6 phy 4.1 5ghz radio 4.5
ath0: 11b rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps
ath0: 802.11 address: 00:0d:88:9d:19:8a

(I tried a 1.6ZG kernel, but it didn't support the card.)

Hope this helps someone,
-bob