Subject: Re: errors: build.sh on FreeBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2004 14:53:15
On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:40:32 +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:

> On Wed Feb 25 2004 at 12:50:59 +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
>
> > It would be lovely to be able to build 1.6 on FreeBSD, but the effort
> > of backporting the fixes to 1.6 is just too high and the gain is too
> > little.
>
> I don't know if the effort is really *that* high, the changes weren't
> very numerous.  I guess the problem is more that no one has wanted the
> capability enough to actually bother to do the work.

Yes, but I mean that, e.g. for me the annoyance of building on a
slower machine is less than annoyance of groveling through the cvs
history and pulling up and testing relevant changes.  Especially since
1.6.2 has been tagged and being released any day now (so, this work
will not go into 1.6.2 anyway).

If anyone is really interested in this, the cvs history of
tools/compat/compat_defs.h is a good place to start.  And,
incrementally, cvs histories of the files that fail to build.

Also, I have an archive of my source-changes mails, so I can easily
find which FreeBSD build fixes I committed.

SY, Uwe