Subject: Re: errors: build.sh on FreeBSD
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: current-users
Date: 02/25/2004 12:50:59
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 19:36:22 -0800, David C. Myers wrote:

> Anyway, the picture is becoming clearer.  I'll summarize: The whole
> cross-building build.sh infrastructure was supposed to work in 1.6, but
> it doesn't quite.  For various complicated reasons, the fixes to make it
> work will only show up in 2.0.
>
> However, assuming I was willing to put up with the long build times on
> my Sparc 5 routerwall box, I could continue to use the "netbsd-1-6" tag
> to pull in the fixes along 1.6.2, 1.6.3, and so on.  I just can't build
> those releases from FreeBSD.

Let me put it this way - (1) I actively use FreeBSD for cross-building
NetBSD-current - for day-to-day NetBSD development; (2) I use sparc
machines running 1.6; (3) I find it *overall* faster to do a build of
NetBSD/sparc 1.6.* on my old slow NetBSD/i386 laptop on those rare
occasions that I need a sparc 1.6 world built.

It would be lovely to be able to build 1.6 on FreeBSD, but the effort
of backporting the fixes to 1.6 is just too high and the gain is too
little.

PS: I don't remember for sure, but 1.6 *might* be cross-buildable on
Linux.

SY, Uwe