Subject: Re: errors: on FreeBSD
To: None <>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2004 22:44:52

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 07:36:22PM -0800, David C. Myers wrote:
> Anyway, the picture is becoming clearer.  I'll summarize: The whole
> cross-building infrastructure was supposed to work in 1.6,

What gave you this (mistaken) impression?

The quite wonderful structure happened to be added to
NetBSD's most current code while the -current kernel version was
1.6<something>. That hasn't got the least bit to do with a formal
1.6.x release or, really, netbsd-1-6. It just means that the kernel's
interface with userland is the same.

The kernel doesn't really play much of a part in the toolchain,
which is WILDLY different on HEAD than it is on netbsd-1-6 right
now, and will (probably) remain that way till a new netbsd-X-Y is

This is stated pretty clearly at the url you quoted earlier this

> However, assuming I was willing to put up with the long build times on
> my Sparc 5 routerwall box, I could continue to use the "netbsd-1-6" tag
> to pull in the fixes along 1.6.2, 1.6.3, and so on.  I just can't build
> those releases from FreeBSD.

That is correct.

> Sorry for the fuss.  I actually got a number of "me too" emails on the
> side wondering about these same questions, so there are plenty of us out
> there who stand a bit confused by the NetBSD build situation.

It's not wrong of you to want this, it's just wildly difficult to
backport the framework. It's a drastic change, and it was
purposely done on -current because implementing it broke a LOT of
things (some of which still don't work quite right, all the time, on
all ports, whatever).

> Oh, I guess one last question: is current stable enough to use as a
> firewall/router/maildrop box?

It depends. I, and a number of other people do, but you shouldn't
expect it to be hands off. You certainly shouldn't use it in a
situation where your (or your employer's) money depends on its
firewalling, routing, or (not, I suppose) dropping mail. But you
knew that anyway, since the whole thing comes with no guarantee,

gabriel rosenkoetter

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (NetBSD)