Subject: Re: errors: on FreeBSD
To: Luke Mewburn <>
From: David C. Myers <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2004 19:36:22
On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 19:13, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> Whilst cross-platform builds are important, I wouldn't consider
> them to be bugs critical enough to require backporting the fixes
> to older release branches.

I'd understand this statement, except that 1.6.2 is in the *future*.
It's not an "older release branch"...!  ;-)

Anyway, the picture is becoming clearer.  I'll summarize: The whole
cross-building infrastructure was supposed to work in 1.6, but
it doesn't quite.  For various complicated reasons, the fixes to make it
work will only show up in 2.0.

However, assuming I was willing to put up with the long build times on
my Sparc 5 routerwall box, I could continue to use the "netbsd-1-6" tag
to pull in the fixes along 1.6.2, 1.6.3, and so on.  I just can't build
those releases from FreeBSD.

Sorry for the fuss.  I actually got a number of "me too" emails on the
side wondering about these same questions, so there are plenty of us out
there who stand a bit confused by the NetBSD build situation.

Oh, I guess one last question: is current stable enough to use as a
firewall/router/maildrop box?