Subject: Re: NTFS5 Support Status
To: John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/24/2004 11:12:07
On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 06:14:31AM -0700, John R. Shannon wrote:
> The man page for mount_ntfs says, "Unless you want to debug NTFS filesystem
> code, mount the NTFS filesystem read-only". Is this still the case? Can I use
> dump/restore on a NTFS5 filesystem?

Last question first: There's no dump_ntfs, so no.

First question last: NTFS data structures are AFAIK, still undocumented,
and no open source OS has write capability (beyond extend/replace
existing file) on it.

The moral of the story: Don't store anything of significance in a
proprietary file/filesystem format.

Net Musing #5: Redundancy in a network doesn't mean two of everything and
half the staff to run it.
					      - Tomas T. Peiser, CET