Subject: Different Keyboard Mappings in X11
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/23/2004 11:42:57
I've got two keyboards hooked up to my system, a PS/2 and a USB. I use
them both under X11 (with a pair-programming partner), and I'd like to
be able to use different mappings for each keyboard. (I like to have ESC
and backquote/tilde reversed, for example, but my partner often doesn't.
Worse, in another situation, a partner wants to use a Japanese layout
keyboard when I want to use a US layout.)

X11 itself normally reads from the keyboard multiplexer, and thus hasn't
even an idea which keyboard a key press came from. I briefly considered
hooking up /dev/wskbd0 and /dev/wskbd1 as separate input devices in the
XF86Config file, but I don't see any way to get xmodmap to map them
differently, and xev does not seem to have a field to distinguish which
keyboard an event is coming from, so it's not looking like that option
will work.

So I turned to wscons mappings, but it turns out that X11 uses the
keyboard in "raw" mode, which returns keycodes directly, so the mappings
seem to have no effect.

So has anybody got any ideas for what I can do?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org