Subject: Re: Spam suggestion...
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2004 15:41:04
On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 07:35:53AM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> In message <20040222133206.GL11328@phaeton.entropie.net>, Martin Weber writes:
> >[ computer(s) ] --- [ router ] ---> inet.
>
> >Router gets a dynamic ip adress. Mail is sent from my computer. So
> >how exactly do I tell sendmail to lookup my global adress and use
> >that instead of my hostname ? ...and get all the SMART_HOST etc.
> >rules to work still ? But see below.
>
> You just put the top-level domain, which you should have.  e.g., if you
> are attached via comcast.net's network, you'd put "HELO comcast.net".  I
> think that works safely enough.

This is, as I said, the 2nd point (to which you replied), where reverse
dns DOES resolve, but to another IP than where the mail is coming from.
If you check that the mail's path also maps to where it claims to be
coming from, you'll be stumbling over that. It's no difference whether I
claim to be (global) entropie.net but am it only locally, or whether I
claim to be the toplevel domain, and am not.  Thus i'm still out.

-Martin