Subject: Re: Spam suggestion...
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/22/2004 09:19:46
On February 22, 2004 08:37 am, Herb Peyerl wrote:
> Sun, 22 Feb 2004 07:22:03 -0600.
>              <200402221322.i1MDM3Nr014275@guild.plethora.net>
>
>  > Yes, it does.  There is no sysadmin incapable of providing valid reverse
>  > DNS, and this simple filter gets rid of a very large quantity of spam.
>
> I'm a sysadmin and I don't have authority for some of the address space for
> some of my machines coloed in some facilities.  Does this reflect poorly on
> me as a sysadmin or does it reflect poorly on you for making grand and
> baseless assumptions?

Dear <Owner of machines I sysadmin>
Cc: <ISP with brain-dead policies>

If we continue to use <ISP with brain-dead policies> I cannot guarantee that I
will be able to continue delivering email to our clients, vendors and other
correspondents.  They are breaking the standards that are required to
properly do business on the Internet.

That should get someone's attention.  Consider that the NetBSD Project is not
the only site that you will have problems with.  We just found a mismatch in
our DNS for one machine which was preventing us from sending email to one of
our most important clients because they very sensibly implemented this
policy.  They just expected us to be a professionally run operation.  As it
turned out it was a simple fix because the error was mine and under our
control but I can assure you that if the colo provider (MCI) was the problem,
my boss would not be happy if I told our client that they had to allow spam
through in order to do business with us.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@netbsd.org>
http://www.NetBSD.org/