Subject: make eats (too much?) memory
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.feb.vier@onlinehome.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2004 16:06:39
Hi,

during an unsuccessful native build of NetBSD/amiga 1.6.2RC4 I observed
that "make" eats large amounts of memory.
With an unpriviledged build (ie resource limit of 32MB for data on a
machine with 96MB) I was unable to build lib/libc in one run. After the
complaint about "nbmake: Cannot allocate memory" I could continue
building by calling nbmake-amiga again.

I repeated this with a cross-build of NetBSD 1.6.2 and -current (i386 ->
amiga) and again "make" needed much more memory than I would have
thought (46MB for libc of -current).

Is this expected behaviour of "make"? Why can I continue a build of libc
after "make" reached 32MB of data and aborted? Does it keep state data
about the already built files or might there be a memory leak?

ciao
     Klaus