Subject: Re: objdirs and readonly /usr/src
To: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: current-users
Date: 02/21/2004 13:35:15
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 09:25:20 +0000, Dick Davies wrote:
>
> > I mount /usr/src readonly over NFS to my current box.
> > When I try to build tools, I get this error:
> >
> >  cc  -O -o nbmake *.o
> >  #    objdir  /usr/obj/tools
> >  ln: obj: Read-only file system
> >
> > Which I assume is because build.sh can't make symlinks in /usr/src.
> >
> > Have I missed something?
> > I'm starting to think rsync would be less hassle :)
>
> Hmm, I build from readonly sources all the time.  What do you have in
> your mk.conf?   Sounds like you have some *OBJ* var set in there.

No, he have a silly problem that there is no one obvious right solution
to.

As a part of building, you want to create symlinks from the whole /usr/src
tree to somewhere local. So you create an obj symlink in every directory,
pointing at somewhere local, writeable. But the creation of the actual
symlink itself requires write access to the source directory.

Once all the obj symlinks have been created, you don't need write access
to /usr/src, but in order to set things up, you do need write access.

I'd suggest that the person who have this problem just do a "make obj" on
the maching exporting the file system. That machine should have write
access, and after this, other machines don't need to create the symlink.

	Johnny