Subject: Re: multiprocessor i386 1.6ZH system crash
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2004 19:38:59
--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

[ I'm still subscribed, no need to CC: me, thanks. ]

Lubos Vrbka wrote:
> running the debugger from the serial console wasn't possible. tip display=
ed=20
> only ~ character.

Have you tried whether you can get into ddb remotely before? It should
work at any time, not just during a crash. ddb.onpanic is useless in this
case because it's (probably) a deadlock and the kernel doesn't notice
that it's dead (well, who ever did?). You must set ddb.fromconsole=3D1 (with
sysctl). OTOH, you're lock problem might be worse and if the IRQ for
the UART is blocked, you're ... having a problem. Just in case, try
setting hw.cnmagic to something easy to type like:

	sysctl -w hw.cnmagic=3Dbackdoor
=20
> what to do now? wait for another -current? or should i upgrade to 1.6ZJ a=
nd=20
> try to catch it again and hope that this time i'll get to ddb?

I've seen it in 1.6ZJ as well - but I can't know whether it's really the
same problem as yours. Actually, I recently had two different crashes for
different reasons, the latter being rather network related.

--=20
Christian

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm

--uAKRQypu60I7Lcqm--