Subject: Re: Kernel assertion failures while bootstrapping gcc
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/13/2004 16:20:13
On Friday 13 February 2004 3:15 pm, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> Can anybody come up with some theories as to why ARM kernels might be
> tripping the assertion in "umap->refcount != 0" in ubc_map.c when
> bootstrapping gcc?  Although it's not predictable as to when it will
> fail, it does seem to happen pretty much every time, and it's been
> doing this on all kernels since late October last year.

This is also mentioned in your PR; port-arm/23581, for which I'm still
saving up enough round-tuits to investigate. ;)

Seriously, if this started happening around October '03, then that
corresponds to the optimised arm/xscale mem* and copyin/out functions
going in.

Since I haven't seen this problem on my Xscale machines, it's a fair bet
the non-xscale code in those functions is suspect. My only two
non-xscale machines are running kernels which predate those changes
(though one of them was used to test the changes at the time).

Cheers, Steve