Subject: Re: Linux emulation upgrade..?
To: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
From: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2004 09:57:06
On Tuesday 10 February 2004 03:04, Arto Huusko wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 netbsd99@sudog.com wrote:
> > Don't mean to be a pest, but I was wondering if anyone could tell
> > me whether they've been successful in upgrading to a more recent
> > version of SuSE or RedHat in their Linux emulation tree? Is there
> > anyone who
>
> Do you mean by pkgsrc or by hand?

Either! But I don't think any more recent versions of the Linux
distributions are available in a pkgsrc entry.

I tried by hand before--but failed, which is why I thought I'd ask here
before attempting it again.

> I tried to upgrade my linux emul to suse 9 or something, by hand.
> It went more or less okay, and would have worked but for newer
> glibc.

This is what I ran into as well. :-) I tried to upgrade everything that
it was complaining about in my case. Didn't work out so well, but
perhaps I just missed something simple.

> The biggest problem for me was to find a way to unpack the
> rpm's (rpm2cpio in pkgsrc is not good enough; FreeBSD has one
> that works).

I used similar commands to what the pkgsrc entry used and just ran a
normal rpm and rooted it into the emulation hierarchy.

> Perhaps you needed also a newer loader (ld.so).

Very possibly--now do you mean the NetBSD native loader or the Linux
emulation loader?