Subject: Re: Linux emulation upgrade..?
To: None <netbsd99@sudog.com>
From: Arto Huusko <armihu@utu.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 02/10/2004 13:04:12
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 netbsd99@sudog.com wrote:

> Don't mean to be a pest, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me
> whether they've been successful in upgrading to a more recent version
> of SuSE or RedHat in their Linux emulation tree? Is there anyone who

Do you mean by pkgsrc or by hand?

I tried to upgrade my linux emul to suse 9 or something, by hand.
It went more or less okay, and would have worked but for newer
glibc.

I didn't go through with the upgrade, because I would have had to
upgrade every library if I upgraded glibc, and that would have
made a total mess of keeping both pkgsrc and hand-installed stuff
around.

The biggest problem for me was to find a way to unpack the
rpm's (rpm2cpio in pkgsrc is not good enough; FreeBSD has one
that works).

> Perhaps I'm just missing something, but I had much difficulty simply
> installing the libraries in the "right" spot. Many of them seemed to
> refuse to run, but it was a month or two ago when I tried this so I'll
> probably need to give it another go if someone else reports success.

Perhaps you needed also a newer loader (ld.so).

  -- Arto