Subject: Re: building x11
To: Steve Bellovin <>
From: Daniel Carosone <>
List: current-users
Date: 02/07/2004 09:46:48

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 09:33:44AM -0500, Steve Bellovin wrote:
> I'm getting ready to install -current on a new machine, so I decided to=
> build myself an install CD with all the pieces.  What is the right way=20
> to build x11?  I see there's a /usr/src/x11, but a ' distribution'
> didn't create any of the X .tgz files.  (I'm not 100% certain about=20
> whether or not it was built.)

in mk.conf:

in /usr/src:

=2E/ [usual options] release

and then you can use the iso-image target in etc/Makefile.

It works nicely, will work with cross-compiled releases (with perhaps
a couple of exceptions for esoteric targets?), takes appropriate
notice of things like CPUFLAGS (eg, -march=3Dpentium4), and even DTRT
for options like MKCATPAGES=3Dno, MKMANZ=3Dyes and MKPROFILE=3Dno (though
perhaps not yet all of the other similar options that affect

I've been running several machines with X rebuilt this way, and rsync
--delete'd over /usr/X11R6.  In fact, I have none left at home using
the old X.

I also gave someone else an iso-image to install from, built this way,
and they seemed happy - another new NetBSD user.

All in all, a massive and wonderful improvement. Thanks Luke and Tyler.

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)