Subject: Re: building x11
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/06/2004 10:05:51
In message <20040206143344.299A77B43@berkshire.research.att.com>, Steve Bellovi
n writes:
>I'm getting ready to install -current on a new machine, so I decided to
>build myself an install CD with all the pieces.  What is the right way
>to build x11?  I see there's a /usr/src/x11, but a 'build.sh distribution'
>didn't create any of the X .tgz files.  (I'm not 100% certain about
>whether or not it was built.)
>
>I tried going to /usr/xsrc and doing a 'make release', but that died
>near the very end:
>
>Creating xbase4.tgz
>Creating xcomp4.tgz
>Creating xcontrib4.tgz
>Creating xfont4.tgz
>Creating xmisc4.tgz
>Creating xserver4.tgz
>pax: Unable to access ./usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/savage_drv.o (No such fi
>le or directory)
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop.
>make: stopped in /usr/xsrc

Following up my own post...  The problem with savage_drv.o was due to a
compile problem; that in turn was due to a cvs update problem at some
point that created a savage_driver.c with conflict notices.  How that
happened, I don't know, but deleting that file and redoing the CVS let
things build properly.

But my base question remains:  what is the "right" way to build x11?