Subject: Re: Non strict REQUIRE/BEFORE in rcorder(8)
To: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@jodi.nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2004 11:23:09
On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 07:04:03PM +0200, Mike M. Volokhov wrote:
> Hmm... IMHO, even 3rd party scripts should be resided in /etc/rc.d too.
> Moreover, you can depend joined /etc/rc.d and ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d by
> the following command:
>
> 	rcorder /etc/rc.d/* ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d/*
>
> But this means that your ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d directory must be
> accessible *before* any file system has been mounted. On my own systems
> I just have copied /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* scripts to system /etc/rc.d, so
> as potentially all my used 3rd party software must be ran *after*
> file systems mounts. This will build all dependencies needed and then
> all 3rd party daemons / tools will smoothly starts.

	What I do is copy any 3rd party rc.d scripts to /etc/rc.d.local, then
make links from /etc/rc.d to /etc/rc.d.local.  That gives me the features
I need:
	3rd party scripts are easily identifyable
	3rd party scripts are present at system startup
	I can modify the scripts without "pkg_admin check" complaining.
	All scripts are in the same place so I can do /etc/rc.d/foo reload
		without having to think about where it's installed.

eric