Subject: Re: Non strict REQUIRE/BEFORE in rcorder(8)
To: None <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Mike M. Volokhov <mishka@apk.od.ua>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2004 19:04:03
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 08:49:47 -0800
"James Graham" <greywolf@starwolf.com> wrote:

> The largest problem I see with this is that the things in /etc/rc.d will
> get run before /usr/{local,pkg}/etc/rc.d, which is where most of the
> third-party stuff is destined, and that of course won't be taken
> into account by the initial run of rcorder -- it has to happen in
> /etc/rc.d/local (which seems to me to have its own very special
> problems,
> as ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d cannot depend on anything in /etc/rc.d
> due to not being able to resolve those dependencies).

Hmm... IMHO, even 3rd party scripts should be resided in /etc/rc.d too.
Moreover, you can depend joined /etc/rc.d and ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d by
the following command:

	rcorder /etc/rc.d/* ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d/*

But this means that your ${LOCALBASE}/etc/rc.d directory must be
accessible *before* any file system has been mounted. On my own systems
I just have copied /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* scripts to system /etc/rc.d, so
as potentially all my used 3rd party software must be ran *after*
file systems mounts. This will build all dependencies needed and then
all 3rd party daemons / tools will smoothly starts.

--
Mishka.