Subject: Re: encrypted cookies in identd
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/04/2004 10:18:58
On Wed, 04 Feb 2004, Alan Barrett wrote:
> It seems that src/libexec/identd was recently changed from pidentd to a
> new implementation that does not support encrypted cookies.
>
> Can we expect encrypted cookie support to be added soon?

I have just realised that the new identd's "-r" (random) option can be
used to achieve what I want.  The random string can be treated as an
opaque cookie, and I can grep for it in the syslog to find the actual
username later, if that ever proves desirable.  (I might want to add
more information to the syslog message, such as IP addresses and port
numbers, but that's easy.)

--apb (Alan Barrett)