Subject: Re: using Nikon Coolscan LS4000 (Firewire)
To: Vincent <10.50@free.fr>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
List: current-users
Date: 02/02/2004 13:11:37
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 09:13:18AM +0100, Vincent wrote:
> Frank Kardel <kardel@acm.org> dixit :
>
> > has anybody tried to use a version of NetBSD with
> > a Nikon Coolscan LS4000. Is the firewire code
> > working with that film scanner ?
>
> I have not, but I thought the film scanners from Nikon had at least on
> Firewire and one USB port ? The one I intend to buy soon has just an
> USB2 port, which is fine.

There are no dual-connectivity Nikon scanners; and as for the
high-end models (LS 4000 ED, LS 8000 ED, 9000 ED), those are
1394-only.

> However, I am interested to know if one can properly command the scanner
> from NetBSD directly, or if only the provided Windows tools do that...

SANE on NetBSD seems to "work" with the recent USB Nikons.  However,
if you're interested in stellar results you should have a look at
VueScan[1], of which a Linux version is available.  Note that for
NetBSD you'll also need Tero Kivinen's Linux SANE compatibility
module[2].

- Klaus

[1] http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html
[2] http://www.kivinen.iki.fi/lsc/