Subject: Re: D-Link DWL-520+
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2004 21:27:02
Quoting Daniel Bolgheroni (dbolgheroni@sigmanet.com.br):
> I'm looking for a cheap wireless network card to use with NetBSD. I
> would like to buy a D-Link DWL-520+, because it's very easy to find
> here.
>
> Is this card supported by NetBSD?

Not also that DLink has changed chips in this (or perhaps it's
just the 520, no +).

So you can wait.

OR:
Netgate.com has been great for me.  They are in america, but
they're folks who RUN UNIX themselves.  The extra I spend
is made up for by not having to screw around with various cards
in painful ways for many hours.

On another list, someone had spent several days trying to get his
$40 card to work.  Several days is worth the extra $25 for a
highpowered card that I know works.  esp when that several days
isn't learning, it's working around and whacking at.  Really
frustrating when its' because the manufacturer has change the
card significantly, but the model number remains the same.

<grump>
We'd never put up with:
"Oh yes, it's still an Ultra 10, but we're shipping with ARM chips
 now.  Why, is that a problem?"
Yet vendors make major chipset changes that whack drivers regularly.
Sometimes at tremendous cost to customers.
</grump>