Subject: Re: wi0 going mute?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/25/2004 14:01:30
On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:21:36PM +1100, Paul Ripke wrote:
> With -current kernel from around 20040119, userland somewhat more
> ancient
> (about 200304??), after giving my system some work, like building a
> release,
> its wireless interface has a nasty habit of going mute. Packets are
> still
> being received, but nothing sent.

I have seen this, too. I think it is a bug in the rate adaptation code. I
don't see what it would have to do with building a release, unless the
kernel misses interrupts under those conditions....

> thing I've noticed is that the kernel prints a couple of "wi0: bad idx
> 6e"

Ok, the firmware should "never" return a bad index, but obviously I
should not trust that. Bug noted.

Hmm. This could be an endianness issue. What architecture is this?  I am
betting that it is big-endian.  0x6e (110) is Prism's representation for
11Mbps. The data rate and the index both go into the same 16-bit word,
but they are u_int8_t's in the wi_frame struct.

Dave