Subject: Re: Some post-install problems
To: None <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@eunetnorge.no>
List: current-users
Date: 01/22/2004 08:10:01
Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com> writes:

> 2. For every file which is different and a merge is attempted, I get
>
> 	sdiff: subsidiary program `ed' failed
>
>    at the end of the merge.

I've been trying to understand the sdiff source code in order to
figure out why it does this, but to no avail.  I'm usually very good
at debugging, but this one has me stumped...

athene:tih> cat > foo
athene:tih> cat > bar
athene:tih> sdiff -o baz foo bar
a                                                               a
b                                                             | x
%l
c                                                               c
d                                                             | y
%r
e                                                               e
sdiff: subsidiary program `ed' failed
athene:tih> cat baz

It works just fine, but returns an error anyway.  (Another problem
with it is that it needs ed, but heeds the EDITOR environment variable
anyway, so you have to make sure that's not set.)

-tih
--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, Senior System Administrator, EUnet Norway
www.eunet.no  T: +47-22092958 M: +47-93013940 F: +47-22092901