Subject: Re: tinkering with wi interfaces (Prism 2.5)
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: current-users
Date: 01/21/2004 17:09:27
On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 01:32:13AM -0600, David Young wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 08:20:44PM -0800, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> > The main reason I'm using adhoc mode as opposed to putting one in hostap
> > mode and making the other a station is because of the bridging issue...
> > I *could* make one or both sides route, but in this case having
> > them as bridges just makes certain things much simpler.  (at least
> > from one perpsective).
>
> If you would send a detailed PR concerning wi(4)'s failure to bridge
> in hostap mode, I would appreciate it.

It's not failing in hostap mode;  it fails on the *other* bridge (both
are netbsd boxes) which is just a station.

> I can see how you would have success "bridging" an ad hoc-mode wireless
> interface to an ethernet, but what you have is not a layer-2 bridge so
> much as it is a strange bridge/router hybrid, and I fear that someday
> you are going to get bitten by the difference. Come to think of it,
> you might be bitten already: is the retry rate for the ad hoc clients
> going through the roof?

I'll check that as soon as I figure out how to check the retry rate :) .
It's possible you're right - I may need to switch to just routing.  Sigh.

> BTW, I am bridging a wi(4) to a tlp(4) in the office. It seems to
> work fine.

Yeah, bridging in hostap mode seems to have worked fine for me.

Thanks again for all your help.

+j
--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz